photo headerwords_zpsfbc9be37.png
PROFILE PICTURE

BUTTON/SHORTCUT
HOME            PORTFOLIO            CONTACT

8/16/17

You Are Not Alone

I'm not referring to the Michael Jackson song. Although it is a great song, and is now stuck in my head.

I wanted to write about something that has become important for me to share. Which is the daunting reality of dealing with depression and anxiety. I often find myself in a place of not having ambition or not wanting to care. I know a lot of people suffer from this as well, and might be afraid to express it. Hearing from other people speak up about their struggles has helped me, and I hope to become another voice of reason. 

I often put so much pressure on myself to not make mistakes that I end up being self deprecating. I end up not reaching my full potential. Luckily, I have made some progress in calming my high stress levels (which has accumulated for many years), and am becoming mentally stronger. 

I am learning how to become more transparent to the people I am closest to. That way they get what I'm going through - instead of me resenting them for not understanding. 

"There shouldn't be any shame in the struggle of doing what you love." Jen Gotch, founder & CCO of ban.do 

Sure, I have taken many risks in the form of moving to different places. I guess I'm a bit of a cautiously ambitious introvert. But a lot of anxiety takes place beforehand. Traveling, in some ways, has been a way of escaping. It's nice to get away from reality and from disappointing things/people (don't let the disappointment linger in the background). 

However, traveling has also become the greatest learning and growing platform for me. And has brought me to overcome a lot of my insecurities and shyness. What I have experienced has pushed and challenged me to do things that at some point, thought I could never accomplish. Which is probably why I talk about traveling so much. Sorry, not sorry?

The biggest reward from living and visiting different places, has been the multicultural friendships built. Meeting people with different backgrounds and stories is the most valuable aspect of life in my opinion. Being able to find similarities with people who have different upbringings, who grew up speaking different languages, who eat different foods, and who have been different places. It all forms a wealth of knowledge and understanding that can not be taught any other way. 

I get that not everyone has been exposed to these types of situations, and that's okay. I understand that not everyone has the opportunity to travel. But there are similar opportunities in our own surroundings and communities. It's not difficult to find people who have moved from other places, who have different backgrounds, and people who process things differently - if we are open to it. There are a lot of people who wish to be acknowledged and heard.

I am grateful to the people in my life who have taught me that diversity is a beautiful thing and who have listened to me at my low points. And thankful that my mind has been able to process it all, and expand more and more through each experience.

If you deal with similar issues, find someone to talk to. I have learned there are many ears willing to listen if you speak up and if you acknowledge the ones who love you. However, not everyone will be there in the way you need, make sure to be discerning. And if you are someone who doesn't suffer from something like anxiety, but know people who do - I encourage you to learn how to best communicate with them. Saying things like, "get over it", can tend to put them in a darker hole.

The main notes I want to leave here are; love differences, appreciate those around you, and speak the truth rationally.

You are good enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment