photo headerwords_zpsfbc9be37.png
PROFILE PICTURE

BUTTON/SHORTCUT
HOME            PORTFOLIO            CONTACT

7/11/15

West Coast

Years ago I would have never imagined living in Los Angeles. However, a couple of months ago, the idea of moving here swarmed my mind after my roommates in Dallas mentioned moving to San Diego. I thought to myself, I want to live on the west coast too. After further consideration, I realized that I actually knew a lot of people in L.A. And from that point on, I made the decision to figure out how to 'make it work'. When I told friends, family, and coworkers of my decision, they were all very supportive and had confidence that I could handle it.

So here I am, in the city of dreams. And have been very welcomed with great roommates, awesome coworkers and amazing weather!

In the thirteen days of being here, I have gone to the ocean, gone hiking, sent lots of emails, talked to artists, and drank a lot of coffee. 

On the not so exciting note, I found out my cat who I left behind has leukemia. Which has made it more difficult for my dear friend back in Lafayette to find a home for him. Before I left, and his diagnosis, he had two home options. But since both of those places have cats, it is no longer became an option. 

I felt so helpless being far away and that my friend had to deal with it all. Thankfully, we found out yesterday that he will have a home with a lady in Austin, TX who has a leukemia positive cat as well. So he will be living in a cool city AND have a friend! A big weight has been lifted.

I have a couple of thoughts from all of this. One - it’s crazy how attached we get to our pets. I cried so much when I heard of the news, and then felt like I was on the verge of tears the rest of the week. He was with me during a lot of my transitional times within the past five years. It reminds me of the movie Marley & Me - definitely had the ugly cry going on both times I watched the movie!

Two - moving to an unfamiliar place is difficult and teaches you a lot, quickly. I think that’s why I love doing it. Moving forces you to meet new people and explore the unknown.

I definitely miss my family and Louisiana cookin’ (and of course my cat), but I am truly happy with the decision to move here. And am so thankful for my amazing friends all over the globe!


I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment